• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GAB81

GAB81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

I am trying to build a business as a farrier.

And as most of you probably know, thats not easy!

And when you are a girl its even harder to get the ball going.

Been working for about 4 years , but its only since october that I have actually dared to throw myself in it almost full time ( still have a 50% job on the side...those bills dont pay them selves...)

My client base has slowly but steadily been builing these 4 years, and most my clients has contacted me due to recomendations from others, and that is great! =)

And I know that I have to be patient, and the clients will come....

But in the mean time I have to surive on scraps...

And the biggest problem at this time in my business is bad payers!

So what do you guys do for payment ?

is it cash when your done ?

Do you send a bill ?

• NaidaCrync, TeoerryInava and Fadieweelm like this

#2 George Geist

George Geist

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Is unfortunate.

People like that are going to find you because nobody else will do them. It's quite an initiation. Same thing happens to experienced people when new in an area.

There is one thing and one thing only that will rid the industry of these people. That thing is 100% organization. You need to join or start an association. Get talking to each other. Spread word amongst yourselves and blacklist these people. They screw one of you they screw all of you. Don't touch anyones horse that owes money. What goes around will come around.

Second thing you can do is get set up to accept credit cards. That should also help to eliminate those kind of problems.

Don't carry anybody. They can sweet talk and con you out of anything. They're some of the best BS'ers you'll ever see.

Payment is already past due when the last foot hits the ground. If those terms are unacceptable drop them like a bad habit.

George

• Gaitinfool, Linda Muggleworth, MPLdyCop and 1 other like this

#3 travis reed

travis reed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

We all see things much diff in this trade ..there is usually 3 types of clients to work for in this trade ..the back yarder and pasture pet that may do a trail ride ever so often..this type hardly stay on a cycle and its usually an 8 week cycle if they do and you have to call and play phone tag to line up this type and need payment at the time of service ..its a must ......the 2nd type is much better to work with but can be iffy at times its what I call the hobbyist or weekender ..they usually have a small farm maybe couple of horses and often stay steady for a year or two maybe 3 or 4 if your lucky they can be a little demanding but you can make a living with these if you have enough on your books..the draw backs are they price shop and most of them want maybe not the cheapest price in town but deff not a high price ..this type will fire you most times if you charge for lost shoes or price increases they don't tend to understand quiked happen ..if horse goes lame its your fault ..they can be a real pain in the ass and at times..the 3rd type is the bread and butter of my business and most farriers..these are boarders and boarding barns ..these clients you most times get to watch grow up ..kids and wives of folks who make a good living..in turn you can make a good living ..they show on weekends ..they may do one big week show a year..they may even have a go in wellinton in the winter...but keep it professional imho..you may have to bill this client you may have to keep a debit card number on file and debit at time of service..I ask a 15 day turn around but will not press them until 30 days..its how they do business day to day..a lot of times an accounting place or bank pays there bills bi biweekly..if a farrier don't have enough money to carry him for 30 days then he prob should not be running a business..the business end of the trade is one thing that can make or brk you ..handle these wrong and you end up with client number two your whole career.... I have seen farriers pissed off because they get stuck in a rut and stuck on not so good clients they often feel they are better farriers than others and feel they should be farther ahead..they usually bad mouth other farriers in front of clients ..if they land a good account they lose it in a year or so usually..and they wanna blame it on others..but the cold fact is they usually are poor at dealing with business and talking with people they normally have big ego ..they may feel some letters behind there name entitled to the cream of the crop..sorry that's all crap and makes young farriers think that's all there is to getting ahead in this trade..my best advice starting out is look around in ur area or outside ur area and find the farrier you wanna be like ..its often the guy who does a pile of horses and low key..don't jump in the truck with just who ever ..slowly build a bond with the farrier you wanna be like ..it often takes time ..the harder it is to get in with the farrier often times the better it is... It seems these guys who let folks jump in and out of the truck just like to hear them self talk and it builds there own ego..they need to feel important..you all seen the guy he usually the loudest at a clinic he loves to let ya know how great he is...he will post every silly detail on facebook About shop night and what clinic he's going to ..but never post work of his own ..only his truck at a barn or some silly shit like that..never there work up for public view....each has to find his own way and how one goes about it can lay out a nice career or a shity one..
  • George Geist and Gaitinfool like this

#4 Rick Burten

Rick Burten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

Generally speaking it seems to take about five years to get a farrier custom established.  And like others have said, the 'new guy' gets the ones no one else wants, for whatever reason(s), to do.  To combat the slow payers/late payers, etc., do your self a big favor and get a credit card reader for your cell phone.  And, when they call to set up an appointment, make sure they know that payment is due at the time services are rendered and that's cash, check or credit card.  And set up the next appointment before you leave the customer's property.  If they don't want to do that, don't argue with them about it.  Just tell them that you cannot guarantee that you will be able to fit them into your schedule when they call the next time.  And if they give you a BS story about not being able to be there when you work on the horse(s), say "fine, just give me your credit card number, including expiration date and security code(on the back) and we'll be fine".  And, set up a PayPal account so that if for some reason all else fails, they can pay directly to the PayPal account and you'll get your money.  And don't go back for another appointment until the previous bill has been paid.   Remember, if they haven't paid you what they owe you, what makes you think they're going to pay you twice as much.

Remember, 'Cheat me once shame on you.  Cheat me twice, shame on me."

#5 beslagsmed

beslagsmed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

One little thing I add to Rick's post. I'd stay away from checks as much as possible until you get to know the customer. "In God we trust - All others pay cash"

Mikel W. Dawson

Don't ask permission, just seek forgiveness

#6 Gaitinfool

Gaitinfool

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,973 posts
  • Locationspring hill , Florida

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Travis, good to see you here. 

I did a paper route for 10 years.  250-400 papers a day , 7 days a week.  It was always the same people that strung me along, and the paper I worked with would not let me stop a paper for non payment very easily.

But I think paying a farrier is a bit different.  They call you, you do the work, then they can't pay you?  I've heard it all from my farrier I had for 20 years.  He did not do their horses til their account was paid up.  I don't understand people.  What if their paycheck was held up?  I think Paypal is a good idea.  My farrier in New York had a waiting list for people who wanted him.  Easy enough to tell someone you can't afford to do the work and not get paid on the spot when there are other people waiting for a slot to be a customer.

I used to leave a not saying "please pay your bill, kid needs shoes".

This is a good thread for people starting out providing hoof care who have done this for years.  IMO.

• George Geist likes this
I used to care but I take a pill for that now

#7 George Geist

George Geist

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

For a business with such a high degree of turnover......

I think a little motivational speaking can often be helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users